Mar 13, 2015

My desperate attempts to close browser tabs, and catch up on my posting

Here I am again, behind on my planned posting, and with a broken posting process. Two broken processes, actually. Let me explain.

I suffer from a variety of Posting Paralysis Diseases (PPDs) some of which I have written about, and which I will not, repeat not, interrupt my flow to properly reference. If you care, use my custom search to find them. If you don't care, then why am I bothering to link to them.

But I digress.

As usual.

One of my PPDs is Topic Paralysis Paralysis, TPD. TPD is indicated when the blogger becomes functionally paralyzed when trying to choose a topic.  "Try this one," a part of me would say. "How about this other one," another part would offer. Then the two would debate, with other parts chiming in with their favorites, while I watched, interested. That's part of my problem: it's all so fucking interesting.

Then a day would pass, no post would be written, and retrospectively I'd be frustrated--though in an interested way.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

So near the end of February, to alleviate my TPD I attempted Temporal Blog Assignment Therapy, TBAT. I printed out a calendar for the month. And I went through various lists of topics about which I had considered blogging and went through my Google Search History to see what I'd read about that I thought was blogworthy. And I wrote a topic on each day. And I resolved to try to stay current, and write back posts for the assigned topics for the assigned days. Or tried to. This worked in part because it reduced the number of debate options and stuff started coming out of the end of my blogging pipeline--though for different reasons than having applied TBAT. And which I will write about at another time.

Soon.

Anyway, TBAT helped.

Kinda.

I was blogging more, and enjoying it more, but I still found myself opening more and more interesting and blog-worthy browser tabs. So many that I did not have calendar days in which to place them. So I added a new form of therapy: Browser Tab Closing Therapy, or BTCT. It works this way: I had a browser tab open, then if it was a post-worthy topic I would not close the tab it until I'd blogged about it. And this worked.

Kinda.

But today I realized both processes were broken. The write-stuff-on-the-calendar process was broken because I left my calendar at the place in Southwest Harbor where we'd met for our "Spiritual Journeys" course. The write-about-your-tabs-before-you-close-them process was broken because I was still opening tabs faster than I was closing them. Without tab-triage I have on my desktop machine more than fifty open tabs (I quit counting when I realized my algorithm was flawed and the incremental return on incremental investment was--surprise: less than zero.) My smartphone has more than a hundred! WTF?

And this very morning, while trying to write my first post for the day (not this one) I opened eight new tabs! WAT!! (A subject for another post, perhaps).

And now it's time for the Blogger's Prayer: Oh, God! Please don't let me open another tab so that I can find a link to add to WAT! Let me do it much later, when I've closed all my tabs and I can get around to editing my posts. Please!

Anyway, I'm in a groove, on a roll and, engaged in a third metaphorical activity that does not come to mind immediately but which I could easily find if I would just open another fucking tab. But I won't.

I'm going to declare victory and post, then post on this morning's newly opened tabs, on a debate between Sam Harris and William Lane Craig, here.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages