Oct 24, 2017

Dzogchen hints

After (finally) posting "Avoiding the Core Teachings of the Buddha" I scrolled through my blog drafts looking for something that I thought I'd started to write. Instead, I found this fragment, relevant to my last post. I've cleaned it up, and In just a moment it will be posted. Yay, one less draft.


Sam Harris' experience comes from one of the lesser known branches of Buddhist practice, called Dzogchen. Researching it, I found this and this which describes several approaches to Buddhist practice.

But the best description (at least the one I like best) is this one:

> Hinayana is like a bicycle. It is slow, and carries only one person, but it’s cheap, simple, and gets you there in the end. Mahayana is a bus: when you drive the vehicle, you bring many people with you. Tantrayana is a sports car: it is fast, dangerous, and not for most people. Dzogchen is a teleportation booth: it’s instantaneous. (from here)

That's what waking up has felt like. Teleportation.

Unfortunately, it's impermanent and unsatisfying.

And I'm working on understanding the third Characteristic of Existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages