Jun 24, 2018

The early results are in, and the answer is "no."

Yesterday I challenged myself to write a post an hour. I sat down and started on my first post. I made a strategic error. I chose to write something that required lots of thought and lots of research. And I didn't choose a particular self to leave the effort. Instead, I ended up with a free-form discussion that went on for pages.

This morning, I continued on that post. And before too long I found myself writing a prologue to the post. So I was further away from completing it then I had been.

Full stop.

(By the way, when you dictate to the word full followed by the word stop, Google's speech-to-text replaces those words with a period. And when you say the word period, you get one of those too. So the previous paragraph was originally rendered. '..')

So I'm starting again. The long blog post may come out in episodes, or I may reward myself for finishing a blog post in an hour by working on it for a little bit, or something else may happen. But I'm clear and resolute in my objective.

A post an hour.
It shouldn't be hard if I discipline myself. (Hah!) In the past 24 hours I found so many things that I want to write about. And think about. And share with other people.

Speaking posts engages different parts of my brain than writing them. It's harder in some ways, easier in others. And drafting while walking up and down the driveway gives my post a nice time bound. Plus it's good for my heart.

And now it's time to polish this up and post it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages