Jan 23, 2021

Self-discipline: a mistake

Today realized that I have been making a mistake by trying to solve problems by developing self-discipline.

What was I thinking?

I wrote this post a while back, Jocko Wilnick’s three principles for success

I quoted Wilnick saying this:

You can’t count on motivation to be there when you need to get through truly challenging times. But you can count on discipline.

I thought it made sense.

Now I realize it’s a mistake.

YMMV, but for me, it’s a mistake.

What is discipline?

Here’s the definition:

discipline: the practice of training people to obey rules or a code of behavior, using punishment to correct disobedience.

Really, Mike?

You want to make yourself follow fucking rules? Since when?

You want obedience? Since when?

You want to use punishment to get obedience? Since when?

This is so utterly wrong for me I can’t believe I thought it.

I can’t believe I bought it.

What is inspiration?

Here’s the canonical definition of inspiration:

inspiration: the process of being mentally stimulated to do or feel something, especially to do something creative.

Here’s my definition:

inspiration: to be filled with the spirit

What spirit?

The spirit of creativity. The spirit of love. Maybe some Holy Spirit.

I don’t know. Whatever spirit comes, I’ll let it fill me up. I’ll let the spirit call me. Then I will do what I am called to do.

Like writing this.

What if there’s no inspiration?

There have been times when I’ve felt no inspiration.

I thought that discipline was the answer.

Really?

Rule following with punishment for disobedience?

Really?

Now I have a better idea.

No inspiration? Ask for it. Not there? Ask again. Wait and ask. Keep asking.

Does this sounds familiar:
“Ask and it shall be given you.”

I think that’s the answer for me.

Not fucking discipline.

Click here to subscribe to 70 Years Old. WTF! by Email


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages