Feb 12, 2015

Sous vide, pour moi

I ordered the ANOVA Sous Vide cooker on the date of this post. It arrived a few days later and a few days after that I got Amazon's recommended sous vide container and cover. I chopped a hole in the top with an electric saw (jig, not circular) and mounted the cooker. Then I cooked my first Sous Vide meal: some cheap stack that turned out pretty delicious.

I'd gotten a vacuum sealer, so I put four pieces of steak in vacuum, and cooked them up at 62°C after presearing.

Two went in the freezer, one went in the fridge to be consumed the following night, and one went in my mouth.


Yum.

I used this as my guide.

I also worked out the logistics of cooking sous vide steak for several people.

Once you hit the target temperature the steak does not get weller done; it just gets more tender. So cook the well-done steaks first. Then lower the temperature to medium and cook them (the well-done steaks can stay in the cooker). Then lower to the rare, and the rarest and keep it there until it's time to serve.  At serving time you can re-sear the steaks to make them sizzle a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages