Jan 8, 2016

Predictions

save image
I have several predictions to make. First prediction: Three days from now, on January 11, 2016, I will write a post that has, at the top, the same image as I have at the top of this one.

I predict that on that day I will have started writing something about what I did today, January 8th, But as I start to write it I will realize something more interesting. So I will stop writing about this day and instead write about my realization: I am a cyborg. I predict that I will title this future post "I am a cyborg. And Google helps me remember my life."

If I were writing about January 8th even a few days from now, on January 11th, I'd have a hard time remembering what I'd done on today day. It was not a terribly eventful day. Even if I were (as I seem to be) writing on January 8, I'd have forgotten a lot in the course of the day.

Such are the failings of human memory that I predict I will write about on the 11th.

But fortunately, I have Google Timeline to remind me. Without its help I remember that we drove from Boston to Winchester Virginia. I remember that we had dinner at an Outback Steakhouse, and with a little thought I would have remembered that we stayed at a Red Roof Inn. But there are things that I could not remember without a little prompting. And there are details that are utterly lost.

Details come back as I consult the timeline on the map. And the couple of pictures that I took that are interleaved on the timeline on the sidebar. I thought it was funny that it was a TBACK Steakhouse (OUTBACK with missing letters) for example. Unlikely I'd remember that.

All this reminds me that I want to take more pictures, even of mundane things like sandwiches (which I predict I will do later) that my frail human memory is incapable of recovering.

It reminds me that I bought a Narrative Clip just so that I would take pictures by default, not by exception. It reminds me that I brought it with me and that I intended to start using it.

I predict that on the 11th I will dig it out and try to start using it.

I predict that I will now press Publish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages