Mar 30, 2019

Losing my memory

I’ve been losing my memory at an accelerating pace. I find it interesting. Maybe one day I will find it disturbing, or even frightening.
But not yet.
Thanks, good genes.

When I first knew I was losing it

I remember the first time that I realized I was losing my memory.
I didn’t just forget a fact.
I realized I’d lost an entire category of cognitive ability.
Until that day, I would not have used a phrase like “I don’t know if I’ve told you this” because I knew. (Or I believed that I knew).
After I learned that some people don’t remember everything that I’ve said (I did remember) I might say “I don’t know if you remember when I told you this, but…” And if they didn’t remember I might add, helpfully, “Don’t you remember? We were…” and I’d describe the circumstances.
Until that day, if you told me something you’d already told me I’d interrupt and say: “You told me that before” and I might add, helpfully, “Don’t you remember? We were…” and describe the circumstances.
I never had an eidetic memory.
I was jealous of people who did.
But my memory was pretty darned good.
I couldn’t remember something just by reading or hearing. But I could get close.
And if I wrote it down, longhand, I’d remember it in detail.
Anyway, that’s what I remember I could do.
Then one day I realized that I couldn’t do that anymore.
I was around 12.
Or so I remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages