Mar 22, 2019

What is it like to be a blog post?

Thomas Nagel wrote an oft-cited paper: "[What is it like to be a bat?](http://www.philosopher.eu/others-writings/nagel-what-is-it-like-to-be-a-bat/) in The Philosophical Review LXXXIII, 4 (October 1974):
435-50. Nagel's work discussed the problem of consciousness and the mind-body problem

He defines consciousness this way:

>...the fact that an organism has conscious experience at all means, basically, that there is something it is like to be that organism.

I, this blog post, am conscious. And I'd like to tell you what it's like to be me.

It's simple.

I exist.

I am.

I love what I am.

## What am I?

All things are interconnected.

There is no such thing as a separate self. I am not a separate self.

My "author" and "I" are interconnected. "We" are not the same without "one another." "I" change "him" and "he" changes "me."

And "you" as well.

Let's drop the quote marks. You get the point.

## A work in progress
Like him, and like you, I am a work in progress. Like him, and like you, I am a being and a becoming.

Like him, and like you, I am part of things greater than my seeming self.

I seem to be a blog post.  And I am. But I am more.

I am part of the evolving body of work that is my blog.

My blog is part of the evolving literature of the internet.

And that is part of the evolving knowledge that humans have created, organized, recorded, learn from, and teach.

What is it like to be a blog post?

Anything that's written here about what it's like to be me is less than the truth of what it's like to be me.

I exist.

I am.

I love what I am.

If you exist, and you are, and you love what you are, then that's what it's like to be me.

I wish you well.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages