Jan 12, 2020

Anytime (I am there) and other dying wishes

The memory of a song that I’d heard arose in my mind a few days ago. Or maybe it was a few weeks ago. WTF. It arose, OK?
I didn’t remember the name of the song. I vaguely remembered the subject. I did remember that it was part of a musical performance that Speakeasy Theatre in Boston had done when Dana was Production Stage Manager.
I remembered a song about Steve Buschemi and a Thanksgiving Day celebration. I remembered that it had something to do with 9/11.
Never fear. My Google-fu is strong, and shortly I’d found the name of the production: “Elegies, a song cycle”) by William Finn, and of course, someone had uploaded the soundtrack to YouTube.
The song is Anytime (I Am There), and the link is to the Genius.com lyrics site.
The song is from the perspective of someone who died when one of the towers collapsed on 9/11. Even though they are gone, they’ll still be there.
I love the song, and I want to share it with you (and Future Me, so it doesn’t get lost again.)
I plan to organize my memorial service. Knowing me, I’ll procrastinate too long. So if I don’t get around to it, and you are involved in setting it up: please note: I want this played.
I also want Amazing Grace by Dropkick Murphys.
Below are links Any Time on YouTube, the lyrics to Any Time, and following that, a live performance and the album track for Amazing Grace.
These are my dying wishes because all my wishes are dying wishes because I’m dying—though very slowly, and not completing the process for many years.
``
```
Any time you laugh
Any time you cry
Any time you hear a sound
When you’re on the grass
Lying on the ground
Any time you wash your hands
I’ll be around
I’ll be there on the baseball field
Though I’m well concealed
I’ll be out there cheering
I’ll be there in the books you read
It is guaranteed
I’m not disappearing fast
Anytime
No, not any time
And I am there each morning
I am there each fall
I am present without warning
And I’m watching it all
Yes I’m watching it all
Oh oh oh oh oh
And I am there in music
I am there in sky
I don’t why this thing did happen
But this much is clear
Anytime or anywhere
I am there
Any time you pray
Any time you fight
Any time you’ve gained a pound
Any time it’s day
Any time it’s night
Any time the earth moves
I’ll be around
I’ll be there in the maple trees
I’m a summer breeze
On a perfect evening
I’ll be there when you celebrate
When the world seems great
I’ll be waiting by your side
Anytime
Yes! Anytime
And I am there each morning
I am there each fall
I present without warning
And I’m watching it all
Yes I’m watching it all
Oh oh oh oh
And I am there in flowers
I am there in snow
I don’t know why this thing happened
But this much is clear
Any time you cry
Any time you sing
For anything
I’ll be there
Each morning
I’ll be there each fall
I don’t why this thing happened
But this much is clear
Be aware
I am there
I am there
I am there
I am there
I am there
I am there
I am there
`

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages