Jan 8, 2017

New Chromebook and my Chromunity

For Christmas, I got an Acer Chromebook R11 convertible. Wow!

(By seeming coincidence (but not, because nothing is ever a coincidence) Zbm3 bought the same model for Z3 for Christmas, too. So clearly it's the best that there is in its price range.)

Why do I like it so much? It's a Chromebook. And it's got a touch screen. And it's a convertible, so it's a tablet. Or a tablet with a built-in stand. And it's an Android. Connects to Play Store and runs apps. Great screen.  Nice feel on the keyboard. Great battery life. Right now I've got 23 tabs open (OK, I know, finish shit and close your tabs) and performance is just fine.

And I got it for under $200 bucks, which is great for any Chromebook and amazing for this one. Prices seem to have gone up since then, so it's no longer an insane bargain, but simply a really, really good price.

It fits in with idea that I've had for a while: to educate people in my town of Blue Hill Maine about the resources that are on the internet, and how people can use them to make their lives better. I'm not saying that everything on the internet is great, and that there aren't lots of other things to do. But I do think that technology can provide personal empowerment and facilitate connnections.

Anyway, we'll see how this all works out. Next stop: contact Acer and find out about pricing, and whether they would be willing to support this activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages