Jan 17, 2017

A passing thought

"Sorry," said a thought, "I didn't mean to bother you. I was just passing this way, and I saw your light on and dropped by."

"No problem," I said. "I'd been thinking about the way that thoughts arise in consciousness."

"And here I am!" Said the thought.

"Yes," I agreed. "The point is: are you relevant?"

"This is embarrassing," said the thought, "but I don't know. I'm kind of half-formed. It could be that I'm just a casual notion. It could be that I'm going to be a big idea. I guess that it's too early to tell."

"Makes sense," I say.

"By the way," the thought said, "I like the way you keep going back and tweaking me. Your edits have made me better without changing my essential nature. At least that's how I see it."

"No problem," I said. "I just did what seemed natural."

We sat for a while, my half-formed thought and me.

"I'm not sure I'm going anywhere," said the thought. "You might as well post what you've written so far."

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"It's fine," said the thought. "It's not going to keep me from evolving. Maybe I'll show up later."

"OK," I said. "Here goes."

Edit: and so I posted

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages