Nov 8, 2018

Who wants to live forever? (Maybe me.)

Who wants to live forever
Eternime (www.eterni.me) is a company offering digital immortality—of a sort. Their website says:
Eternime collects your thoughts, stories and memories, curates them and creates an intelligent avatar that looks like you.
This avatar will live forever and allow other people in the future to access your memories.
The idea is interesting because I’m going to die soonish and I’m thinking about the best way to leave as much of myself behind as I can.
I’ve already got three samples of roughly half of my genes, (the genes a gift, a legacy, from my own parents), randomly selected from the two halves of each of my chromosomes, (not including my Y chromosome) which were mixed with similar contributions from my wife, lover, and best friend (hint, all the same person) who then painstakingly 3D printed each sample in her uterus, producing girl-children, who, once they were born, were offered the best ideas and values and othe memes we could find and afford, and who grew into three admirable, intelligent, capable, women, and now mothers with their own children, each containing a quarter of my endowment, along with equal contributions from my wife, lover and best friend, and from the men who they were smart enough to marry and who were smart enough to marry them.
So all those parts of me will all survive this part of me, I expect and hope. And I ‘ve been able enjoy all of that while I’ve been around.
And then I’ve got stuff that I’ve created, like this blog. And I live on as a character in my book, and my other book.
But wouldn’t it be nice, I think if the kids, or any surviving friends, could dial me up when they needed me? Or when they just wanted to hang out?
Or maybe wouldn’t it be nice. Maybe it would be weird.
What would a digital version of me be like?
Google’s got a product called DialogFlow and I just spent too much time looking at it to figure out how I could program it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages