Dec 6, 2019

SSDY and improving MyOS

Today I wrote my Daily Pages on https://750words.com/ and then read a couple of the Pages I wrote in 2010 when I started writing them online.
SSDY. Same shit, different year.
“Seriously, dude. How can you still have the same problems and be trying the same solutions? It’s been ten years! Haven’t you learned anything?”

Have I learned anything?

After some reflection, my answer is: “Yes, I have.”
Maybe I could have done better, but (thank you, Past Me) I’ve done well.
I prefer the 2020 version of me to the 2010 version.
It’s not as zippy, not as shiny, but it sees the world more clearly, and with more understanding than the earlier version.
I’m sure of that.
(Side note: I started to describe the 2010 version as the “older version,” rather than “earlier version.” But the 2020 version is older than the 2010 version. In other words, the older version is the younger version. Language is fun!)
So what do I do about the problems that I wrestled with in 2010 that I still have not resolved? Things like this from (18 April 2019 (the link won’t work for you, sorry. It’s for me.)
I’m scattered and fragmented and all over the place. I make up my mind to do one thing and do another.
Sound familiar?
SSDY.
I’m still wrestling with that problem and trying to solve it much the way I am trying to solve it now: make a list (I was into GTD at the time) and only do what’s on the list.
SSDY.
But not all the same.
I have had insights. I have made progress as a result.
If we think of an idea as a seed (the germ of an idea), some of my ideas have never even sprouted. Others have borne fruit, and I’ve integrated some of those into what I’ll call MyOS: My Operating System.
Past Me, Future Me, Present Me is an idea that’s fully integrated into MyOS.
So is the Power of Gratitude and the Power of Forgiveness.
In the posts I read this morning, I found some seeds that might—with a little care and attention—bear fruit.
And with a little work, they, or some other fruitful ideas, might become MyOS improvements.
SSDY?
Well, some of the shit is the same, that’s for sure. But some are different.
Thank you, Past (ten years ago) Me, for writing this shit for me to find.
Hey, Future Me (and present and future others). This is for you.
Here are a couple of possibly sproutable ideas that I found this morning.
When managers read status reports, they suffer from illusions. When they believe them, they suffer from delusions (link)
The one really good thing I did today was to sit down and let the voices in my head say whatever they had to say. Let me restate that for the record. I have voices in my head. I’m not an integrated human being. I fight with myself. Sometimes I win those fights, but often I lose them. (link)
I am not reliable. I am responsible. There’s a distinction I am going to make between the two. Responsible means that I respond. Reliable means that I can be counted on to produce the same result, or a predictable result on repeated trials. I cannot. I will always try to do things in different ways, to explore alternatives. In some ways, my lack of reliability helps make me responsible. (link)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages