Jan 20, 2015

Mindfulness and mindfullness-based stress reduction

Bobbi and I are watching a Great Courses series titled "The Science of Mindfulness: A Research-based Path to Well-Being" taught by Professor Ronald Siegel of Harvard. The course itself has been worthwhile, and I've dug into several related practices that the course mentions, one where I quit after about a quarter-inch of digging, the other in which I've dug more deeply.

The quarter-inch depth digging was into another course, called "Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction" (MBSR) (Wikipedia ref, here.) 

While I am sure that none of you have problems with stress, you probably have friends who do. They would probably appreciate your doing some follow-up research, and passing information to them.

You can also find out more about MBSR following some of the links I've collected below.

It was developed originally by Jon Kabat-Zinn at the University of Massachusetts Medical Center. I've never heard of Siegel before, but I have heard of Kabat-Zinn, who is a medium-sized deal in some parts of the tech community--medium-sized enough that Google invited him to do a one-hour Tech Talk.

Other links I found because that's what I do:

A free MBSR online self-paced course, here modelled after Kabat-Zinn's. I have no idea if it is any good. I just googled and it appeared.
There are some other resources at the UMass Mindfulness center
A bunch of videos on the mindfulness center's resource page.

Backdated to when I wrote an email to family about this course, on which this post is based, in order to back-reference it here, in the then future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages