Jan 12, 2015

I love Google Custom Search

Logical yesterday I discovered The Famous Writers' blog, and wrote about it. That led me to the following problem:

Over the years I've written a whole bunch of blogs, including the above-mentioned Famous Writers' Blog and two posts on LiveJournal. One of the dicta of the modern programming movement is DRY: Don't Repeat Yourself. It's also one of the things that 70-year old guys tell themselves. Last thing I want to be is that rambling old man who keeps saying the same thing over and over again. "Did I ever tell you the time..." "Yes, you did. About four hundred times."

I don't want to repeat myself and I do want to reference myself. Which leads me to Google Custom Search. "Google's mission is to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful." It says that here, and I'm using Custom Search to organize some of my own information and making it accessible and useful, if only to me.

Google Custom Search, here, lets you design your own search engine. You can say what sites you want to include, and if you have more time and/or more desire than I have right now, you can twiddle with the ranking, formatting, labelling and more.

So here's a link to my custom search.

And for those of you who are impatient, here's my custom search widget, right on this page:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages