Jan 1, 2015

WTF? Is there really an emoji for poop?

Yes, poop lovers, there is an emoji for poop.

Yes emoji lovers, there really is an emoji for poop.

And especially, yes, poop emoji lovers there really, really is an emoji for poop.

Check it out -> poop

That's not really it. Emoji appear in chat applications, not in web posts. This is a pseudo emoji animation (technically a pseudomojination) which I got from this article, "How Google Broght Poop to America", h/t to FastCompany.com

Here's what led me to it.

It started when my daughter Alyssa chat-messaged me:

Alyssa: Happy Birthday!
<Animated gift box slides up into my chat window. It opens with an explosion of confetti and a little emoji wearing a birthday hat pops out. Then the whole thing slides down and away>
Me: How did you do that?!
Alyssa: Credit Google emoji!
Until that moment my knowledge of emoji was a linear superposition of two ideas:

  • It had something to do with the little graphics sometimes appeared instead of text in some chat windows when you typed something like :), which I believed were called emoticons
  • It was the plural of emojum.


Silly me. Now I know better. And so can you.

I couldn't credit Google emoji without searching for "Google emoji." Which, of course, I did.

And that led me to the article referred to above and the beginning of short course in one of the many things that I really don't care that much about but can't resist finding out about.

Just as :) produces graphical smiley-faces in some chat applications, ~@~ produces poop in others. Not all. but some.

And when poop appears, what it looks like depends on the particular app. Although poop has been standardized, the actual images of poop are up to the platform vendor. So Google Hangouts poop on on Android can be different from what I'm calling iPoop when it appears on a different, nameless, mobile platform.

If you are interested in knowing more about Google's emoji, you can read this article.

Or you can just type /ponies in Hangouts Chat. Or woot.

Or you can just wish someone happy birthday.

If you are interested in knowing more about iPoop, contact me. I've registered the name and I will licence it for a small fee.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages